Monday, April 7, 2014

Itchin’ to Plant Something

           Slowly, slowly the earth tilts on its axis; the spring equinox comes and goes.  At last we are on the summer solstice side of that dance and  I've been itching to plant something.  Under lights in my home office about 140 seedlings are growing.  I wonder if they are growing "too fast."  The cold seems to have gone so deep into the year I wonder if the plants will be past ready to transplant while frosts are still on the ground. April 29th is the average last frost date in our area but this year it could certainly go into mid May or beyond. There are so many variables.
            I have been particularly anxious to make some progress in Katie’s Commons.  Brett Barker and I put together a couple of frames in time to do a show and tell for the Community Club of Mulberry in late March.  Since then, when time and funds allowed, a few more frames have been added for a total of six at this writing.  The plan is to have ten in place by the time planting season is in full swing.  The next step was to fill them with soil.  We worked on that today (4/7/14).  Sharon Walker, of Jubilee Stables, offered us soil and composted horse manure and made arrangements to have it delivered.  Originally the plan was to dump it in the parking lot and wheelbarrow it to the garden.  But I thought, “If we could dump it closer to the garden, it would be easier and faster to move.  And if the pile killed some grass, that would be a good spot for a melon patch.”  I was warned that the northwest corner of the church property was deceptively wet.  Walking a possible route for the dump truck, I noted the ground seemed a bit spongy.  I drove my car along the route – no problem.  Then the dump truck came brimming with composted manure.  I was talking with Sharon, my back to the truck, when she said, “Oh.”  I turned and said, “I hope he keeps moving.”  She said, “He’s up to his axles.  I don’t think he’s going anywhere.”  Half an hour later and with the help of a very large four wheel drive tractor, the truck was free and our pile of compost was dumped conveniently near the garden.  Let's not talk about the condition of the lawn where the truck sank.
            With a crew of five, Ed Fisher, Ron Rodenbarger, Randy and Carol Engler and myself, we managed to fill the six frames in about an hour and a half.  There should be enough soil to fill the remaining frames when they are complete.  By this weekend, if the wet weather does not persist too long, we might plant a few rows of cool weather greens such as spinach and lettuce with some radishes as well.  It was, all in all, a very good day.
            In addition to a few work days over the next month, our first "hospitality"event is in the planning stage.  On May 28th at 6:30 we will have a Seed Time Celebration and Picnic at the garden.  Save the date.





1 comment: